Tuesday 8 November 2016


The family in the early years of Gwynoro’s life story as mentioned in videos 1-7 

I thought it would be a good idea to give ‘faces to names’ of the people who were central to my early years and upbringing till the mid 1950s.

So much I owe to them all


My parents – probably mid 1940’s. I have difficulty recalling them looking like this! But do remember my father with little hair though! he lost it all in a matter of weeks.





With my father when 3 years old and then the other photo slightly older – early school days!













My mother’s parents – Rhys Jones (known as Rhys y Castle ) Elizabeth Mary ( known as Bess). My grandfather hailed from a little small holding known as 'The Castle' and my grandmother from a farm in Foelgastell called 'Penyfoel'. Remember going to the two places a lot







 









With my Grandfather when some 4 years old – soon after he had an accident in Blaenhirwaun Colliery - led eventually to him becoming  paralysed around 1951/2. The remainder of the 1950s helped my mother a lot looking after him since he was in a wheelchair and totally immobile 




 




Trefor –my Mother’s brother, pictured around 1951 when at Aberystwyth studying for the Ministry. I treated him as a brother in effect. He was very good to me taking me to sporting events - rugby, cricket and even Commonwealth Games in Cardiff. He played rugby for Cefneithin and was known as a hard player.
.







My father’s parents
John Jones and Rachel Ann. Would go to Cwmmawr a lot in the late 1940's and 50s usually on a Saturday evening or Sunday for tea. It was a place full of life, laughter and noise. My grandfather's family hailed from Llanarthney way and my grandmother Cross Hands I believe








My grandfather with some of his Eisteddfod trophies – his Eisteddfodic name was ‘Cymro’. Well known throughout South Wales. The whole family were very musical in fact. If he came back from an eisteddfod having lost - he was not happy at all and of course it was the judges’ fault! 










The Cwmmawr clan! Sadly only one left now – Claudia in the front row (middle).




Very good company and there were two personality types. Four in the front row were more reserved and quieter than the rest. The two brothers (back row) exceptionally noisy as was their sister standing between them. All were good singers, musical and performers.







My home – Manyrafon ( this is a model) presented to me at sometime in the 80s on my birthday and the the chapel Peniel.
.